View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Elizabeth A.

My experience with my sewing machines...

Mettler - the first thread I used in my first sewing machine. I had all sorts of trouble until the thread was used up and my problems went away. Perhaps it was me, perhaps it wasn't no way to tell, but I don't really want to bother finding out.

Gutterman I tried next. It's not color safe, it will run like a streaker at a NFL game. I don't like it, but in a pinch I will buy the one made for quilting (and cringe everytime I have to pull it out to use), never again will I touch the all purpose.

Coats and Clark I had some on hand and used it because I needed that color and man oh man the lint was so bad it completely filled the bottom of the sewing machine in less that one bobbin's worth of sewing, it was so bad DH told me never to use it in the ULT again.

Sulky I tried next. It's good because it's colorfast :) but the Rayon is all I can get locally and it's not very strong. I have some, I buy it when I need it faster than my online thread place can get it to me. (which is amazingly fast)

Next I tried Maderia, this I love. I started with the sampler kits Joann's sells for $20, and I just love the stuff. I am in the process of switching from the Maderia Rayons to Maderia Polyneons, amazing smooth silky strong stuff.

Somewhere along the lines I found Aurifil for quilting and piecing. That stuff is just wonderful. It's two threads woven together instead of the typical three so there's lots and lots of thread on a spool. It costs a bit more but my sewing machines love it, hardly any lint, even when quilting lots and lots it sews beautifully.

I was so sick of buying and trying threads (and running out of those tiny spools) I bought two Cones of Maxi-Lock. This is Polyester thread and it sews like a charm. Nice and strong, no shine. The thread looks a bit fuzzy like it should lint up, but it doesn't, just a little wisp with the lint brush between bobbin changes and your good to go. This stuff is cheap, you can find it at Joanns, and a cone lasts quite a long time, so if you can find a way to use the cone on your machine don't hesitate. :)

Hope I helped.