Thread: Need to rant...
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Up North

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I'm glad you sold something and yes....it's a 2-fold thing....coming down to money and people not knowing what they are actually getting with what we make.

On another note.....my Heart Quilt that I made for auction....well, it went in the auction....$100. I was sick! I actually had to walk out of the room! They started the bidding at $75, which is what I set, but it stopped at $100. I couldn't believe it!! There was an elderly lady there that was visiting her granddaughter. She had walked up to it before the auction and I walked over and started chatting with her. She had such good things to say about it even to the extent that it would bring in a TON of money. I knew that neither her nor her GD would bid on it only because the GD looked to be 20-25 and there isn't much money in their family, especially military family. (she did win a scrapbooking basket for $10) Once the auction was over, the lady walked up to me and told me how sad she was but that the people wouldn't know good craftsmanship if it bit them in the nose. lol She told me to not make one for next year because I would only be wasting my talent. I agreed with her. Not making one. I did have a lady ask me if I was making another for next year. I laughed in her face and told her that wasn't going to happen!

But, I digress.........
I hope you do better the rest of the time you are there.
Good luck!!
I know how that feels! I made pillows for a family reunion where a jar of pickles would sell for $20.00 and they used my pillows as a free choose a gift from a table. Needless to say I won't donate again!!