View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by Joan
Yes, 3incollege I have heard really good things about Bernina and had them demonstrated for me at our local quilt shop. They were promoting the most expensive one ($3200!!!!) with far more features than I think I would ever use. They do seem to be very dependable and I've never read anything but positive comments here on the message board. I would just love to find a used one somewhere "pre-computers". I'm not sure all of the computerized stuff is that great but I admit to being technically challenged. Regardless, all of your comments are much appreciated and I do intend to "shop around". In the meantime, I'll just use my mom's old trusty White machine (even if it is tempermental, etc......)
Yes Joan, a pre-computer Bernina will last you the rest of your life. I am very happy with my 830, my sister likes her 1030, and I have heard nothing but good things about the 930. My 830 is an early 70's model I think. I advise not getting one off ebay, but finding one in a local shop where the mechanic has gone through and cleaned and adjusted everything on it. The part that amazes me is how few oil points there are in this machine. I was use to seeing Mom oil her Singer and I know from personal experience the Elna Super I have has lots of oil points.

Anyhow, I can attest to the durability of the Berninas. If it can survive me, it can survive most anything.

tim in san jose