View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
windycitygal

Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by deema
Because he is a collector, he should at least have some idea of the true scope of work and time that goes into one quilt. I would charge no less than double the cost of supplies, and I would request the first half of that up front so as not to be paying out of pocket for supplies.

I have a friend who asked me how much to make a quilt for her DD's toddler bed. I am charging her $150 +shipping, which is cost of just fabric x2, not including batting (because I have a lot in my stash and she is my friend). I did let her know that she's getting it cheaper than if I'd been making it for a random person. So if you feel inclined to not to charge what you *really* think it is worth, tell him he is getting a special "friend" discount, and not to "advertise" that price.
Thanks this is what I came up with as well. I found a calculator on line for the amount of fabric. Then went to Joann.com for an estimate of the price of homespun fabric. I am adding the cost of thread and batting as well. My son says that he wants to pay for this in order to give to the person for his birthday so I will not charge labor this time. I am also letting him know that if it were someone else then labor cost would be involved. Thanks for all your help. BTW, I am getting the money up front for the supplies.
Be sure this person is aware that you are making an exception about not charging for labor this time in case he asks for another quilt. I really think you are short changing yourself since you were given an opportunity to make money by charging labor.