Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Mattee

Please don't stop talking to people (especially if you can take a hint)! You'll miss out on making friends and miss meeting others that want to talk. What I think is rude is when someone doesn't take a hint. I was in the checkout line at Joann's once (before I stopped shopping there) and a lady in line behind me started asking what I was making. I smiled, and was polite, but just said "I'm not sure yet" even though I knew quite well what I would be making, and I turned back around, with my back to her, but she kept talking. I kept turning my back, and even got my cell phone out and pretended to call someone, but she just kept talking to me! I wasn't feeling well that day and really did not want to be in a cordial conversation with a stranger, but she would not take the hint. That, I consider at the very least kind of sad, and at the worst, rude. If someone seems pleasantly engaged in conversation with you, go for it! If they're giving you obvious signs of wanting to end the conversation, move on, but don't worry about what they think of you!

Originally Posted by Sophie2
Originally Posted by sahm4605
I have talked to people in passing and if I see a fabric that I really like in their cart I will tell them that I love that fabric. They are probably weirded out be my also, but that is okay. I have two little kids and I am a stay at home mommy, I just like to talk to adults in passing even if it is to say that I love that fabric they have in their cart. So Sorry to all those I come across and say something to. I don't mean to offend or creep you out. I just need adult conversation once in a while. Talking to kids can get tiring some days.
I am like you, I often ask someone what they are going to make from their fabric or let them know I like it. I never thought I was being rude - just striking up conversations with fellow quilters. I can usually tell if people do not like my asking and if I get that feeling I just move on hoping to run into a quilter that will talk. Like someone else said, most quilters are talkative, friendly people. I usually quilt alone, so if I am in a quilt shop I feel like I am around people with like interests and try to converse with them. Now I'm afraid I may not be so talkative for fear someone may think I'm strange.