View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Maurene

It's stunning! Too bad about the hole, but you can do something creative with it - put an obvious patch on the hole, then embroider something around it.

A friend, a former teacher, who is a quilter, taught several forms of quilting and smocking too, her work is unbelievable, took an order from a mum asking her to make a quilt for her new baby girl using some of the big sisters old clothes - she had it batted up and was ready to roll when she noticed a 1/2" hole in one of the pink jeans patches. So! she gave it an obvious patch and embroidered "My big sister's jeans were just too cute to leave out of my quilt!"

I was doing a - I call it quiltlet - with a pretty duvet cover and muslin back and I CUT A 3" SLICE THRU ALL 3 LAYERS!! Yikes! I did double sided blanket stitching thru the 3 layers, then decided on an Amish explanation + embroidered "Only God is Perfect!" around it - who could argue with that!!

The Old Order Amish Quilters often turned one block in a different direction deliberately to show they knew only God is perfect; I love their example, they are an inspiration and a great help when errors strike!

So take heart with your backing hole and it will become an even greater treasure - these bits of our humanity jog creativity more than we think they will!