Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
sall

You must go to one of the temples. Of course you must have a singapore sling in Raffles. A boat trip on the river is good. There are so many restuarants it would be impossible to reccomend any particular one, but a really good experience is eating at night on Smith street, this is an ordinary public highway which is closed to traffic at night, and tables and chairs are set out, and then the street food traders set up. It is well regulated with health and safety.Close by is a night market if you are looking for some small souveniers. There are trips which take you to all the sites, but unfortunaly they all seem to include a visit to one of the jewellery factories, which I found was a waste of time.
Can I bore you and tell you about my trip there.It was my 70th birthday present from my husband, and included was a couple of nights staying at Raffles,(what an experience) On the day of my birthday we went to the Long bar for my Sling with my husbands cousin , who had flown from NZ to meet us. After walking the length of the bar looking for a table, a lady stopped me and said that someone was calling me. I turned around and much to my utter amazement all my kids were sitting there. They had flown over from UK for the weekend to celebrate my birthday with me unbeknown to me ( my husband knew)
It is something I will remember for the rest of my life. What makes it more so, is that my husband died suddenly a couple of months later. The best holiday and birthday ever.