View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
candi

Originally Posted by meesabell
I would like your opinions. I don't know exactly how to plan for a star quilt. I am just starting so I don't have a stash. I really don't want to have to commit to purchasing a bunch of fabric. I was thinking of doing red, white, blue or even just different reds, as red it my favorite color. I'm worried that if I would buy fabric as I go that I may not like my finished quilt. Help ease my mind, please? What do you think I should do? :?
I've never done a BOM before, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I did a star sampler few months ago, just choosing stars as I go, and some required four fabrics, so it depends on what gets chosen here, some stars may need more than three colors to pop, of course, you can use the same color with different values too. One thing to consider is how big do you want your finished quilt to be? The BOM blocks will be 12 blocks that finish at 12'', if you just set those straight together in three rows of four, you'll end up with a 36x48 quilt. If this suits you, pick four or five different fabrics to make your stars. You may want to add sashing too in between blocks, again it depends on the look and size you are going for. Also, if you are interested in a scrappy look, you can just buy many fat quarters and go from there. As long as your fabrics go together, your star blocks should look great.
Why don't you browse the board pictures or Google images for star samplers or star quilts and see which look you like best?