View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
I have been retired from teaching for 7 years and have been loving my freedom. I quilt til 2 in the morning, read whenever, make trips to my LQS, teach quilting classes, do some volunteer work, etc. You get the picture. Well, a darling little girl came into my life...our first grandchild, and my heart just melted. I am now taking care of her full-time for the next 4 mos. as her mom just went back to work after 3 mos. We've decided on 4 mos. with an option to renew if everyone feels that it is working out. I offered to do this, and feel privileged to be able to, but I can see that I am not getting any quilting done (or much of anything else for that matter!). I want to be able to quilt more but she is not a good sleeper. How many of you watch your grandchildren? How do you manage your time? Are you glad that you are doing it or is it too much for you? I adore this baby and am so glad she is with me and not a babysitter but I guess (in typical revisionist history style) I forgot how much work infants are and that they don't sleep all the time!!!! Anyway, I wouldn't trade this time with her for anything else in the world.
They grow up so fast. Before you know it, she'll be in school and you'll have a lot of time to "do your thing." If you feel up to it (healthwise), go for it. Just think of all you can do for her that she may not get in a daycare setting.

We had our 2 1/2 yr. old great grandchild here today. When he left, I had a nap.

:lol: