View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by NorthernDeb
Thank you all for these ideas.
Do you like amounts to be more exact or do you like a little wiggle room? I would think adding an 1/8 wouldn't be so bad but if you add that to every fabric called for.. and sometimes it's many, many fabrics.. well, that just adds to the final cost. But I suppose if someone made an error in cutting and the fabric was no longer available, then it would be a good thing....

It is frustrating to end up with leftover fabric, but that is way better than ending up short. Here is what one must remember when they are either buying or designing a pattern.

#1- not all fabric manufactures use the same amount of selvage edge, so fabric widths vary!
#2- not all fabric purchasers will WASH that fabric properly BEFORE cutting it, let alone sewing it...those who do wash it know that you can lose up 8% in shrinkage!
#3- those who DO NOT wash before hand find that when steaming pieces, they do not fit together, so they have to cut more...
#4- not all people who buy that pattern are going to use non-directional fabric, so if they want to fussy cut, match stripes, etc. they will need MORE fabric..
#5- not all people can walk into the LQS and but more of that fabric..they used the internet, bought while traveling, etc...so they need MORE right off the bat...

A pattern designer has to go with the highest amount of fabric possibly needed to please the vast majority of people who will use that pattern! HOWEVER, it would be nice if the designer put in a statement that read
"DUE TO THE HIGH COST FABRIC, I WOULD LIKE YOU KNOW THAT THIS PATTERN HAS ENOUGH FABRIC TO ALLOW FOR SMALL MISTAKES, SHRINKAGE IN PRE-WASHING, OR TO USE FOR SMALL COORDINATING ITEMS"

MOST designers use at least 3 pattern testers to make sure things are kosher before publishing, those 3 results will vary greatly and with good reason...different machine=different seams, different tastes in fabric= different amounts required...and so on!

Designing, creating, and publishing a pattern is not a one size fits all quilters deed!