Old 01-08-2011, 04:38 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by deema
I am a newbie quilter. I only started late August 2010. I'm pretty much self taught, with the help of this board (HUGE help) and numerous hours spent surfing the web. lol. I have a friend who was inspired to start quilting after I did, which is GREAT! I actually have inspired a few of my friends to start - the more the merrier - and I always help them out where I can. Being a newbie myself, I don't always have the answers, but I try to find them. BUT, this one friend decided to take a class (more power to her) and she's decided the the things she's learned in this class are the "right" way to quilt. Now, I'm all for learning different techniques, finding what works best for you and running with it, and I always try to offer more than one alternative when a question is asked of me. But now every time we talk she'll say "the way you do "X" (insert technique) is wrong. I learned in my class that you're supposed to do it this way". Oy. :hunf:

I always respond with "This is just what I prefer, and what works for me. There are no hard rules, just preferences." But jeepers, it just grinds me. *sigh* Ok, I'm done now. Do any of you have a quilt police officer in your midst?
No, I don't have any friends who quilt; but have met people who have taken classes for something and that immediately makes them the expert. I am all with the "don't knock it till you try it" method. Next time she says that, just say "try it my way once and see how you like it". Maybe that will shut her up for a while. Or just say, "This works for me, thank you".