View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 AM
KarylMc

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:
Do you open the sweatshirt down the front before adding the strips?
How do you get into the sleeves? Are they opened, then sewn closed after quilting?

Most importantly: would you do a tutorial if you make more for coworkers? I've been interested in making one for my sister since she asked for one. Just haven't had time to do research. Our guild will have a class but I have to work :-( Don't feel pressured or anything, but I'd appreciate any answers.
I did open the sweatshirt down the front first. On the front, I did start at the middle front edge with a strip and worked to the outside (sideseam) edge. I wanted to make sure the front middle strips were placed straight and also how I wanted them.

When I took the sleeves off, I also opened up that seam, so it would lie flat. And started adding the strips from the middle point. (I did measure for accuracy, but mostly creased to find the middle....heck, this is a sweatshirt!)

After sewing the front and back pieces together at the shoulder seams, and after sewing the sleeves onto this (the whole thing is still pretty much lying flat at this point), I pinned the entire side seam, including the sleeve seam and sewed it as one long seam. (That is how my sweatshirt had originally been put together, and I just put it back like it came.)

Always believed in the KISS* theory for pretty much everything, and it worked here too! ;-)

*(Keep It Simple,Stupid!)

and, yes, I will do a photo tute when I do the next one. ..but first, a quilt for my sweet, patient, long-suffering husband! ;-}