Thread: Wide Binding
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Holice
Banned

There was a post recently about binding wider than the normal 1/4" or so. There appeared to be some question as to whether or not it could be done. A cut binding of 2.5" was mentioned etc. I tried it this morning and you can do larger than the normal 1/4" or so.
General guide lines are as follows: The cut binding for a double fold should be 6 times the width of your seam allowance. This is a guide line and not absolute as factors effect it.
The sample I did was for a 1" wide binding. I cut the binding fabric 6" and folded it. Your seam allowance (width of binding) will now be 1". You may need to adjust this for folds in the binding and depth of your batting. I found that about 7/8" seam worked well. Apply the double folded binding as you would for any other size, mitering at corner etc. I suggest you try a small sample first to adjust your seams.
It worked fine. You must leave sufficient allowance on your sandwiched quilt to fill the binding. PM me if you have other questions. View the demo on QuiltersTV (under Quilters Cafe) for details of the binding)>