Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
salmonsweet

I'm on my fourth quilt FMQing. Getting to the stage where breathing happens naturally again :mrgreen: :lol: and beginning to pay attention to things beyond immediate survival (of myself, my fingers, sanity, and quilt). So, a few questions for you more experienced/savvy ones...

1. I'm finding that at the moment I don't know how to shift hands while moving. Instead I'm stopping, shifting both hands, restarting. That works ok for the feathers-within-blocks I'm doing at the moment. Not so good for overall flowing lines, meanders and such that have no natural stopping points. Any hints/tips/suggestions?

2. What do you do about the thread when you change bobbins? I've been using the locking stitch on my Janome (4 stitches in place), but it leaves a funny little thread knob in the middle of the line. Again, not too much of a problem except when I use contrasting thread.
I know online tutorials say to pull up the bottom thread instead (and bury it manually at the end I suppose?). I'm using my auto thread cutter and the thread ends are very short, too short to do a manual knot-and-bury with a hand sewing needle. Plus I'm not really keen on doing this by hand unless I absolutely have to.