Thread: Serger
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 12:09 PM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
thanks for enlightening me to the fact that so much more quilting can be done on my serger :)
Sergers are GREAT! I used to wonder what I would use one for - and then I actually bought one and started finding out real quick just how cool they are. :)

Because that one would only do one seam width, I bought another. And that one turned out to be really cumbersome to thread, (blood, sweat and tears!) so I bought another.

All this in about two months, because once I figured out how to make a serger work with the way I sew, I don't want to be without one, ever again.

The Brother that I have costs less than $200, but it is very fast and smooth and does a variety of different serging tasks, including narrow and wide 3 or 4-thread edges, a gorgeous rolled hem, a gathering stitch for serging ruffles to a flat piece, sewing knits with smooth, flat edges or lettuce edges, sewing elastic - it's just an amazing little machine for the silly price I paid for it. Plus, it's oh-mi-gosh easy to thread! I use it almost every sewing day and many quilting days.

If for nothing else than trimming the edges of my quilts, I would always keep it around - it gives the quilt such a beautiful edge, and nicely compacted so that I can use narrow bindings more easily. :)