View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM
beautress

I finished a potholder that's been sitting in the middle of my "to do" stack for quite some time. My potholders take about 8 hours of work. I'd already pieced the back as a postage stamp quilt that needed a border and sandwiched the 3 front layers sans design as well as the 3 back layers.

So early this morning, I went through the ritual of making coffee and did a reverse applique of small state map. I used the spring wildflowers IV of bluebonnets and went over the applique outline with some deep blue thread satin stitch after quilting the western red cowboy fabric on the reverse area around the map. I then quilted the back and bordered it with the same bluebonnet fabric as the map, made a bluebonnet hanger from a doubled 2.5" strip of the bluebonnet material as well as the binding.

I started at 5 am this morning and finished at noon. I already had 3 hours into the design, piecing, and cutting phase. Maybe they take a little longer than the 8 hours I thought. It's like making two miniature quilts and tacking them and a piece of turkish toweling in the center to make them handle the heat from cast iron skillets in a hot over and still protect the hand.