View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM
JanTx

Okay - here's my report from our day. We picked out a pattern that had solid blocks (we'll fussy cut from her nursery rhyme fabric) alternating with 2 different 9 patches. One yellow solid/yellow gingham and the other pink solid/pink gingham. This quilt is for a grandgirl due in May.

We got the fabrics pretty easily, had a nice lunch - our husbands are flowing along with us - talking away. My husband is shopping for more fabric - he enables my habit. Got back to her house to begin cutting and .... I .... messed.... up. Big time. Someday I WILL plan carefully, read carefully, double check, double read, whatever it takes. But not today. I so carefully and lovingly fussy cut her precious fabric - found at a thrift shop so no source for more - into 6.5 inch blocks. They were beautiful to see. THen read the pattern for the next step - to see that the blocks should have been 8 inches.

Talked through several options - with me shaking I was so upset with me - then came up with sashing the blocks to make them 8 inches and continuing as planned. It worked. It may be even better as each block will be framed, but ... pooey, pooey, pooey.

Got everything cut. GOt her focus blocks laid out and bagged up so she can't mess them up when she starts putting things together. I know I'll see her often in the next couple of months. Hard to remember what you don't know when you don't know anything..... I think she'll be okay until it's time to sandwich the thing.

Check out the pics of this precious fabric. She thinks she paid 25 cents total for it - one large piece - maybe 1/2 yd, one small piece - 1/8 yd?, one tiny piece.

blank spots for the 9 patches. Had to be sure Humpty's weren't too close together!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156352.jpe