View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Momsmurf

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by Rose_P
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I am wondering if the new plastic bag tax goes thru with the new congress (20 cents PER bag) if fabric stores will be charging for that also.
Seems one guy tried to get the plastic bags outlawed, didn't work so now he wants to impose another tax on the people.
They said on the news that it is mainly aimed at grocery stores, but I have a feeling it would be any retail operation that uses plastic bags.
We the people are getting taxed to death and beyond.
If they do that, I'll be making reusable bags from the uglier parts of my stash. I should have done it by now, except I reuse the plastic ones for cleaning the cat litter and picking up after the dogs, and will have to come up with another plan.
That is one of the things I use the plastic bags for also. And they are perfect size for the small bathroom trash containers.
Congress has to pass the tax on the bags first. We can hope and pray that they decline passage of this guys tax.

From wht I've heard, it's safer and healthier to make our own grocery/shopping bags since "they" have said that lead has been detected in the some of the reusable bags being offered. I suppose those are the ones manufactured in China.

I find it interesting that there is such an uproar over the plastic bags since it is made from the otherwise unuseable by-product in the production of natural gas and would otherwise be wasted, along with the jobs for those involved in the process. I'd rather get rid of the junkie plastic toys - also loaded with lead.

Making our own bags would be a great way of using "ugly" fabric (only ugly in the eyes of the beholder) and satisfying the urge to sew and be creative at the same time.