Thread: Why is it??
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i don't know about you, but i have to pay very close attention when i stitch to make sure all my seam allowances are consistent. if there's so much as a thread or two's difference from patch to patch, i can end up in a real pickle.

i also need to break my very bad habit of using different rulers to cut different sets of pieces for the same project. even when they are all the same brand, there can be significant differences in the measurements you get. all quarter-inches are not created equal. :?
That is true about the rulers.
The same can be said for different presser feet or different machines.
If one has to put the project aside, it might be good to write a short note to oneself saying which ruler was being used (Quilters Rule rulers have kind of a thick line - add a note to yourself which side of the line you were using for measuring ) and which machine with which presser foot.
(Lots of whiches in there LOL)

Have you done a test run for your seams to see if that's where the problem is? Cut three strips 2 inches wide - sew them together with your usual seam allowance - press - and then measure the piece to see how wide your sewn together piece is. It should be five inches across.