View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 AM
dewie45

I can't remember when I first was aware of quilts as they were always around as everyday bedding. One red and white was used by my sisters and then me. By the time I had it there were some stains and red nail polish on it. I added my own design with a toy iron. Do you believe they actually made 'toy' irons that plugged in and got hot enough to scorch fabric?! I still have that quilt and several others most of which were hand pieced and quilted by my aunt and grandmother.
One special quilt is a blue and white made sometime in the 30's. My mother did not quilt but thought she should so she pieced this one. My great-grandmother did the quilting and it is lovely. Mother put it away without a binding, I don't no why for sure but I think maybe it was because her grandmother passed-away. I saw it one day and she told me about the quilt. I think I was eleven. I had my sister help me sneak it out of the house and she got some fabric to match the blue and then we took it to my grandmother to bind it. I gave the finished quilt back to my mother for Christmas. I was pretty proud of myself! Four generations were involved in completing it. The quilt now belongs to me and is very special for all the memories.