Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks so much Jan! I'll go take a look at the kites. I really need to finish the last 2. I'm ashamed of how I've just quit on that part when I could have already been done with them ages ago!

Lesley, I am thinking that I might sew a lttle extra strip along the bottom, iron the seam open, slide the design down just a smidge and then wash the wash away thread out after completing. That would give me a little wiggle room for shrinkage. I'm afraid that if the tris aren't cut just perfectly that I'll really struggle to put the borders together. I don't know. I'm going to sew batting today, so won't get into that part.....still making up my mind.
I've had another thought Patti - I quilted my pieced tris in advance, just as I did the blocks, because I was doing them as I went along. What if you did something different? What if you assembled a whole outer border i.e. pieced tris alternating with plain tris, THEN backed with batting, and did your trapunto? (or sorry, the other way round, did your trapunto and then backed with batting).

The border would still be a managable size to hold in the hand while you quilted, and you would be able to see how it fitted onto your block centre too.