Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM
rainyday18837

My advice, is to purchase by model and not brand. And buy where there is support and repair. Not at a hotel etc. they come through town or the dealer offers this terrific price on a truck load sale. In truth they only have a couple at that really low price. And they plan on selling you up. For instance, When I had my shop there was a flat bed machine, heavy duty that they came through town and sold at $299 or $399. The husbands were so proud of the deal since the dealer paid for a 1 page colored ad. Well I sold that same machine for $99 , yes ninety nine and still made money.

Remember that manufactures suggested retail is just that suggested and inflated so you, the consumer, think your getting a better deal.

Ok I have a janmome gem (11 lb. travel machine) A janome professional 6500, a bernina 950 (commercial). along with a couple of old white brand. Heres the scoop. The gem, I love it and use it all the time. That little guy is tough and has guts. The 6500 professional. WHAT A MISTAKE. it is a wimp, does not like to sew through several thicknesses and bogs down. I don't like the stitch formation when machine quilt with it or applique. Big price difference. Between the 2. they were both bought at the same time. Since I sew for a living, and was so dissappointed with the 6500, My hero/husband, went and got me the bernina 950. Now that one is my babe, but it isn't for every one and certainly is not portable. After all it has a 1hp motor and if i remember can do up to 3000 needle strokes a minute.

In essence, shop by model specific. Double check prices, and make sure what your wife wants to do with it. Is she going to travel with it, quilt classes, if your retired and have a summer or winter retreat is it going with you? Can she carry it?

Good luck
Lorraine