Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I spent my snow day making fleece blankets with appliques and finishing up a quilt for a missionary at church.

For those of you who asked for details with the pictures, I trimmed the fleece evenly and did the corners by cutting around a stainless steel bowl. Then I just used scraps to make a variety of appliqued shapes ... heavy on the hearts because I had a new Kaye Wood View and Do shape to try out. The edges were turned under 3/8" (the width of my presser foot) with no measuring or pinning and sewn in most cases with a blanket stitch and thread as close to the right color as I had.

The green ones are for a baby and I bound one with Winnie the Pooh fabric and appliqued the other with different hearts ... fussy cut.

The dark pink one is a quillow. Opens up into a blanket or folds into a pillow.

The church quilt is all scraps and meant to be Tuscan colors. The missionaries are usually, but not always men and the church gives a quilt to each missionary that comes to the mission conference in early February.

I washed all of them so that there would be no harmful residue for children or babies and so that the church quilt would look more old-timey.
I love them all. Just a hint for next time; no insults intended, but you don't have to turn the hem as fleece won't fray. You can just do a fancy stitch or zig zag in a little from the edge. I do mine on the serger, but if you don't have a serger, you can just do a stitch to fancy up the edge. It saves some angst and time. I do the curved corners too, so much easier than trying to make a crisp corner.