Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Thanks. Sometimes I don't turn the edge. But, I have discovered children pull on the blankets, stretching the edge enough to pop the stitches, even when I use a forgiving zig zag type stitch. The other reason I turned these was to give a more pleasant feel to the edge. Don't ask me what that means... I am repeating what my grandchildren call it. They like the edges turned.

I love fleece to make their names because it doesn't ravel and it is easy to cut letters.

No serger but do have a lot of stitches on my machine that are similar ... just takes longer. Some of these were for January birthdays for grandchildren, some just to give away ... using up the fleece stash.
Oh, I understand what you mean. It gives some weight to the edge, helps it to hang better, in sewing terms. I have found my serger has paid for itself many times over for all the fleece blankets I have made. I have 2 dogs that sleep on my bed, a great dane & a rottweiler so they dirty blankets up pretty fast. So I buy 5 yards of fleece when it is on sale, put about 18" of width on each side to make a nice overhang. I serge the two seams, then serge around the edges and I have great blankets that wash and dry beautifully and are warm at night. I love fleece. You can do so much to decorate it. I have made many for my gkids too with embroidery on one corner in their favorite design. Have fun!!!