View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Daisy144

It's funny, I'm the only grandchild that quilts but am also the only one who did not receive a quilt from my grandmother - guess she thought I did'nt need one of her's since I could make my own - boy was she wrong! - I came across a UFO of her's not too long ago (a red and yellow drunkard's path) that I need to complete so that I will have one of her's even though it will be partly mine.

I am lucky enough to have a quilt (a plain roman stripe) that my paternal grandmother made (she died when I was a year old so I never knew her) and just recently my dml gave me a quilt that was a gift from her sister. The quilt had been made by Aunt Margaret's mil not too long after they were married (1930's) and is a star pattern that I had never seen before. It had been in her cedar chest for years before she decided to get rid of it and I am so glad that she thought of me! it is beautiful and I am so thrilled to have it!

As for my earliest memory, I can't remember not being around quilts - used to set under the quilting frames watching the needles move in and out of the fabric. was always fasinated by that. made my first quilt when I was a senior in high school - a well loved nine patch (ugly - ugly) but am very happy to still have it - have thought about cutting it up and making teddy bears of it but just haven't gotten up the nerve to do so - it currently waits my pleasure in our extra room - maybe I'll cut it down and give a twin blanket to new dgs - that would be a way to pass it on - just thought of that