View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Nanamoms

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
Tia, I'm a fairly new quilter, so I just bought many of these items. I took lessons from a very talented lady who has been quilting a long time. She recommended the following:
Sewing machine, 18 X 24 or 24 X 36 inch mat, 45 mm rotary cutter, extra blades, extra needles for your sewing machine, good cotton thread (no polyester), good straight pins (she recommended Clover glass head pins, seam ripper, rulers that are accurate and be sure to buy all the same brand as they sometimes measure differently (she recommended Omnigrid), pin cushion, "betweens" needles if you're going to hand quilt and a hoop. Then, to begin a simple pattern like a Turning Twenty or simple nine patch and good 100% cotton fabric. Start simple and gain confidence. I also use the www.about.com site for much information. She's a friend and does a great job with info. There are many helpful sites online for beginners as well.
Don't get discouraged, keep practicing and practicing. You'll become addicted so quick!! Good Luck!

I know about the 9 Patch. I just watch a video for the Disappearing 9 Path that looks easy. But I don't know what the Turning Twenty pattern is. Do you have a link for it? So far the rulers I have are Omnigrid.