Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 AM
QM
Power Poster

3 or 4 years ago my guild had a fake stained glass party. You begin with a stack of vibrantly colored fabrics. I think ours were 12". Many of us traded squares. We were given a piece of freezer paper with a scrappy-crazy pattern. Without a pattern, you could work from the outside in to make your own. Make an extra copy of the pattern, or you may never get it to look right. The pattern is ironed onto the top fabric. It is heavily pinned, then cut with a rotary cutter.

Working from about the center, sew the 3/4" 'lead' strip (not bias, as everything is straight lines) to the center. Press. Take the next pile of pieces. Remove the top piece of the pile. Put it on the bottom. Sew it to the lead. Press. Add a lead piece to another side. Move to the next pile, move the 2 top pieces to the bottom, take the new top piece and sew it to your lead. etc. what you get is a block which may take a bit of trimming, but does give a remarkable effect.

BTW, it occurs to me to add that in sewing, you will do the reverse of the order you used in making the pattern. The first piece you drew and cut will be the last to be sewn. I was smug and thought I didn't need the 2nd copy of the pattern. Boy was I wrong! Also, I dislike pressing, but this is a place where pressing at each step is important . I found that some of my pieces needed a bit of trimming to work.

This is not nearly as interesting as a true stained glass quilt, but it is much easier as a first step.