View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
AndiR

I've been reading all the replies with interest as I too have a newer shop. I completely agree that friendly, knowledgeable customer service is critical. And all the other ideas for getting customers into the shop are great, too - free classes and demos and sew-ins and other special events.

well I've only been quilting 2 years and most of my fabric has been bought online. It all boils down to price for me. I want to support the LQS but when they charge $10 a yard for fabric that can be bought online for $7-8 its hard. I love the customer support they have........
MORE COMPETITIVE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do keep in mind that all of the things you like best about your LQS are things that takes the shop owner a lot of time and money to accomplish. Which is why a shop that is offering all this cannot charge the same lower prices as you find online or at one of the chain stores.

I don't know about where you are, but in my area neither JoAnns or Walmart (nor online shops!) has a classroom area. They don't serve me snacks when I come to shop. They don't offer helpful tips and demos. They don't make a new yardage/cutting chart for me when I want to take a pattern that only lists lap size and make it into a queen size. They don't help me figure out why my borders aren't lying flat, or how to put binding on. ;)

A good LQS will do this for you. Isn't it worth a few extra dollars now and then, over what you would pay online or at a chain store, to be sure you have these services available to you?

I'm really enjoying this thread, keep the good ideas coming!!