Thread: fibromyalgia
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
lakesidequilter

I'm also a long sufferer of fibro--was diagnosed in my late 20's and am now nearly 57 yo. Two of the best things for me have been an increase in vitamin D intake--as was stated earlier, many fibro patients are deficient. Since it is not a water-soluable vitamin, it might be smart to have a doc test your levels after you've taken the additional supplement for a time. I personally get about 400 mg from my multi-vitamin and take another 2000 mg dose fo the total of 2400 mg daily. I take no other drugs for the fibro...too many side effects for me. However, when I flare and am absolutely miserable I get myself to the doc's office--they give me a shot of 60 mg. of Toradol and it usually takes me from a 8 or 9 on a "10" pain scale to a level 2 within a matter of 90 minutes or so. It has to be given intramuscular as your tummmy cannot handle it--as it's a massive dose of Ibuprophen. Your kidneys also have to be good since that's how your body rids itself of it. I can get the injection as often as each week, but never have had to since I'm taken out of the flare altogether for a time.
Hope this information helps--I am a nurse so understand the pain a difficulty well with living with this problem.