Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
sew wishful

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I used the Davis for straight-line quilting and to put on the binding. It is just wonderful--no puckers, etc. The needle feed keeps all the layers together and keeps things moving smoothly.
Wow, you guys I have been talking to a guy in VA that I purchased some needles for the Davis from. His name is Bill. Billy do you know this guy? He uses bgrewe224u for his e-bay account.

Anyway, he is very interesting. He sold me some Boye #20 needles for the Davis Vertical Feed. When I told him I needed Boye #10, he explained that the early Davis Vertical Feed that used the boat type shuttle used the Boye #20. He said the Davis machines with the bullet shuttle were from about 1895-1910, then the Davis VF machines with serial numbers that were over 2 million or so use regular 15x1 needles.

This started a conversation because my Davis VF2 has a serial number of 610833, and the last patent date on the machine is 1885. Since the patent dates are changing every year or so -- mine has Oct, 1881, Nov 1881, Jan 1883, then May 1885; I figured my Davis had to be about 1886 -1890 at most.

Bill says my machine with the 600k serial number puts my VF2 on the cusp of the change-over from the boat shuttle to the bullet shuttle. He said my machine is also at the end of the VF2 production line, he thinks my machine was the change-over to the bullet shuttle.

Anyway, this all makes sense except one of your machines - Randa is it yours, has a patent date of 1886? That would mean my machine has to be 1885 or it would also say 1886 if there was a later than 1885 patent date? In other wards, if my machine is 1895 that would mean there would be no more patent dates between my 1885 date and 1895? Isn't that right?

Billy, Miz Johnny, anyone else see what I am saying?

Nancy
Where is the patent date found??