Thread: fibromyalgia
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Tropical

I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome,insomnia and Severe Multiple Chemical Sensitivities among other medical issues including migraines. I am highly sensitive to medications because of the chemical issues so I take none but had tried many resulting in bad side effects.

What worked best for me was a combination of bio-feedback, relaxation therapy, and accupuncture. All of these reduced my severe pain signifigantly. When I medically retired, my insurance would no longer pay for those procedures. So now I try to stay active, eat healthy and keep a positive attitude. I pray. I tell myself it could be worse. Most importantly for me, is to keep my body warm. In the fall and winter, I sleep on a heated mattress pad under knit sheets. I use the knit sheets year round. I use aspercreme because it has no odor. When I am at the painful stage where I want to cry, I don't because it makes me feel worse by clogging up my sinuses and gives me a headache. I do sometimes say "Oh Sh*t" one time very firmly and let it go at that. I have a wonderful understanding husband who makes my life easier and happy everyday.

Rest when you are tired, be active as much as you can each day even if it is only a few minutes at a time. Get help when you need it and try to be happy. Oh, yes - try to stay away from the nightshade group of foods because they increase the pain for people with fibro. & arthritis. That includes white potatoes, eggplant, all peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos and paprika. If you smoke, it includes tobacco. My prayers are with you and anyone else who suffers from this disease.