View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
lin

Even if you don't interact well with some of the others in the guild, it might still be that the guild as a whole has something to offer. I quit going to one of the guilds in my area because the dynamics had changed so much that I wasn't comfortable anymore. That can happen, and it can also be that in time it will turn around and become a place where you fit right in. Guilds have transient members. :) At the very least, you can sometimes pick up valulable information and inspiration from speakers and lecturers that your program director hires to speak at a meeting. Or, just look, take in, learn, and then apply what good you've aquired to your own quilting, and leave the "sharing" out for awhile until you feel more confident with the women/men who attend the meetings. I've never once shown a quilt in "show-and-tell" at the first guild. Part of that is because I'm quite shy in public, and partly because I've never felt like my work was good enough compared to what I'd seen. Also, I'd heard discouraging remarks tossed around by others near me, and figured I didn't need to ever hear that about my own work. If they're doing it to someone else, they'll do it to me too. :) Now, at the smaller guild I've joined, I'm quite comfortable despite the fact that many of the quilters there are leaps and bounds ahead of me in expertise. But I seem to "click" with them, and feel more confident to share my stuff.