Thread: Needle Marking
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Borntohandquilt

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Andrea, I understand how you use the needle to mark, but are you using a stencil? Do you design the quilting pattern to fit each quilt and draw it on paper?

Your work is so spectacular. I would love to try a small wholecloth like yours. Where do you purchase your fabric? And what is the fabric called?

Thanks
SewingLadyDI
Yes, I use stencils or parts of it, but I also draw my own patterns on paper and make a template out of cardboard. I only transfer the outlines on the fabric and mark all inner lines freehand. When I find a pattern in a book that I like and the size does not fit I enlarge or reduce it on the scanner or a copy machine and make a template. Some patterns I mark completely freehand.
I never do a design sheet or something - therefore I never know how the complete quilt will look after finishing!
I purchase my fabric here in Germany in different Quilt Shops. My favourite brand for the solids is P&B, but unfortunately it is now hard to find it here anymore. Many quilt shops used to buy it at a Dutch wholesaler but they don't have it longer in their stash so the shops changed the brands. I am going to try the Moda Bella Solids as a "substitute". The fabric I buy has a 44" width so I sew length of it together. All wider fabrics I have found so far does not have the quality I want.
For the backings I love to use flower prints in a similar quality like also P&B, Quilt Gate, Lecien etc.