Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Wow, just checked out the video, those windows are awesome. I can see why you'd want to play with those designs!

I buy fabric online a lot, and I tend to buy more variety than I strictly need because IME, screen or paper representations just don't work accurately enough to get reliable matches. With buying a few extra fabrics, I've had some amazing serendipity though. I'd rather have an extra FQ or two than fabric swatches...

Oh and a lot of stores will help with color matching. One person from webfabrics.com worked me over the phone to put together some blues that had to be close to each other but work together. It worked out really well for me in that case. If you find the right person to match your creative vibe for the quilt you want to make, it could be superb.
I would just buy some extra colors in case the ones I pick out don't exactly match and then have extra fabric. But for this project that isn't realistic for me. If I bought just one extra fabric for the glass parts each window it would cost an extra $60. With that money I could buy the fabric swatch cards and still have money to spare. Just the glass fabrics are going to run me about $44.90-$89.80 per window...and I don't even want to know the costs of the backing fabric, batting, black fabric for the bias tape, fusible tape, mini iron, thread, freezer paper, and bias tape makers in different sizes.

I'm just going to assume the sheer awesomeness of these wallhangings will completely outweigh the costs to make them.