Thread: fibromyalgia
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
IBQLTN

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I sympathise with your DD. I have had fibro most of my adult life. I have gone through years with few symptoms and other times it was almost crippling.
Attitude is very important. Laughter is medicinal. Hot showers or baths and massages help. Having a supportive spouse makes a lot of difference. There is a lot of research going on now and hopefully they will come up with the answer.
I take Cymbalta. It's the only thing that has worked for me. I still have flare ups from time to time, but overall it works well for me.
Check out this site. I get the news letter with all the latest research and suggestions.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/

I hope she gets some help. The good news is it tends to wax and wane, so she will have better days. :cry:
Cymbalta has been a miracle drug for me as well. Lyrica did awful things to my memory, speech, etc.

Another thing that has helped tremendously is trigger point injections. They inject a numbing agent with cortisone into the areas that are the most tender. My first time they used up the max amount on the 'good' side of my shoulders & neck and barely touched the 'bad' side because they can only give you so much at a time. I had to wait 3 weeks (per insurance company) and then they started with the 'bad' side and used 3 syringes full instead of two. It's been great!

The next step is botox to 'paralyze' the muscles for (3) months. I joked and told my husband my shoulders would look younger than my face!

Unfortunately, I ran out of COBRA benefits and lost my health insurance. When I asked how much the Botox would cost they told me the 'bill the insurance company' $2,000. Needless to say, I cancelled that appt.

Tell her to hang in there. When I was in my thirties my doctor told me I didn't want to believe there was nothing wrong with me and that I needed to see a psychiatrist! Well, I WORKED FOR a psychiatrist at the time who told me to there had to be something physically wrong with me. I changed doctors and have been dealing with the dx of Fibro for almost 20 years now. Unfortunately, I have to work as DH had a stroke and the 'small' disability income is not enough to keep the power on!

She can PM me anytime.

Peggy
Freezing in Florida ... but the sun came out!