View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
QultingaddictUK

Originally Posted by so-sew
Crashnquilt, you are a wealth of valuable information. Thank you.
I completely agree, I have been an IT consultant, besides being a Chef for many years :roll: and Surge protectors work to a point. Simply they "iron/level out" the power that comes in your home, which is not stable because it is "AC" meaning Alternating current.

Surge Protectors WILL NOT protect any of your equipment against lightening strikes and the like and just turning off an electrical item does not protect you either. Sorry Ladies but to be safe you really must, before going to bed, going away for any length of time or in the event of a storm UNPLUG ALL ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES, where possible. I know you can't do that with wired in ones, like a cooker and you can't do it with freezers/fridges but it really is important to do it with TVs; PCs and your precious sewing machines. And again I agree with Crashnquilt, don't plug your Iron into a surge protector there is no point anyway.

Sorry to go on but I have seen some terrible results caused just by not understanding how these things work.