View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
angelwatcher

Originally Posted by barrelracer86
I watch for the sales on those little cheapy throws that are really cheap to begin with and a lot of them are now 1/2 price after Christmas. I have a whole stash of them and use them for backings on baby quilts and petbeds. I just load them like my regular back in my short arm machine and off I go.
I too use already made throws with the micro fleece, love the 50 x 60 inch size for a lap throw.The edges are already finished. I use the Yellow Brick Road pattern by Atkinson, use the 6 fat quarter size and instead of putting borders on the finished top, I turn under the edges 1/4 inch, spray with starch and iron well. I then center this on top of the fleece throw and pin well, stitch around the two center blocks first, (row 3, blocks 2 and 3), with a serpentine stitch, (wavy stitch) and my walking foot, then stitch around the outside edge of the quilt top to applique the whole top down. You have instant borders because you've centered it, and it's warm and a good size. Love to pick up the throws when they're five dollars. Of course, I don't call them quilts, because by definition a quilt has three layers, but it's my latest favorite thing to do for a fast and fairly easy gift!! Soft and cuddly!!

You could adapt this to any quilt pattern, just turn under the outside edges and center it on your throw. I've even bought King size and cut it up to fit my needs, though I had to finish the edges of the fleece by folding under twice and using a zig zag stitch and my walking foot.