View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 AM
moreland

I have 3 daughters and 2 DIL -- none quilt or even sew much. I do most of the mending, hemming, etc. There are 3 GD's and one may one day quilt. She's done it off and on since she was small. I started sewing at 12 and never quit, but I didn't start quilting until after I retired so was 65/66 by then. I have high hopes that some of them (or future GGC's will be interested--if not, I've left instructions that my fabric should be offered to the quilt guild friends first!! However, I think I may follow this lady's idea:
I got my start with fabrics when a lady who had sewn a lot was ready to dispense her stash. Through word of mouth people were invited to look at it. If you were going to use it for mission projects, there was no charge. If you wanted it for yourself, it was $1/yard (this was 10+ years ago.) But I thought that was a pretty good way to take care of it. She had a friend who helped, but she took care of her fabric before she died. They had it marked as to amount, and you had to take the whole piece, they didn't do any cutting. Just thought I'd share this. In her case, the proceeds went to missions as well.