Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I just got an email from Quilters daily talking about joining quilt batting. It suggested that you should "graft" the batting rather than butting/zigzag stitching. :shock: SURELY, Jane will be ok just butting it together and hand stitching it, right???? I'm really looking for reassurance here, since its already done.

They were suggesting that you should cut a layer from each side of the batting, overlap them and then sew them together. I can see why that would be a nicer way to do it, but they also suggested that it would be a bit stronger and wear better. I doubt that my Jane will actually get enough "wear" to cause a problem, but it is somthing to think about....

here's what they suggest to do
I think that's a lot of extra work, and not necessary, Patti - firstly, Jane's sashing batting is so narrow, I don't think you would have the room to shave down half a layer of W&N so that you could overlap and 'graft'. Also, (well in my case) I did two rows of quilting along each section of sashing (I stitches a cross on the little cornerstones, so that on the long rows, I could go right from on end to the other, and turn to come back again). That is plenty of strength as far as I am concerned, especially as the batting got basted together at the back too.

I think their method might be good for 12in blocks, but not with Jane's blocks.

Well done for getting your tris done - you are at the more than a glimmer of light stage now.

If you are going to use one long length of batting for each border (of pieced and plain tris sewn together), then I think I would baste, and I also think I would start in the middle of the border, and work towards each end. Just my twopennyworth.