Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
JudyG

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
ARRRGHHHH - I haven't ever heard of the "scant" vs "full" 1/4 inch seam. Geez - it seemed to me that 1/4 inch seam was already scant. Especially when I was used to 5/8 seams in sewing clothing.

I'm just going to easier blocks for this round robin and save the experiments for another time. I am taking some beginner quilting lessons during the next 3 weeks - so maybe things will become clearer.
One thing that will help a little is when you're making half-square triangle blocks, make them a little bit oversized and then trim them up. For instance, when quilterscache designs say to cut a 3-7/8 inch squares to be used in half-square triangles, cut them the full 4" (this will make two 3-1/2" half-square triangles which will finish at 3"). They will be just a smidgen bigger than 3-1/2" so you trim them up and they are perfect. Even though I have sewn and quilted for many years, I still can't can't make perfect half-square triangle blocks without trimming them and if you cut the squares, for instance, 3-7/8", your stitching has to be exactly perfect - not happening when I'm sewing them.