Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 AM
All Thumbs

Re: Quilt In Progress

Several days ago, it was suggested within a post that it would be fun to see photos of member’s quilts as they are in progress. Therefore, I will begin another t-shirt journey with you. Please do keep in mind that I am open to suggestions and criticisms alike.

My first t-shirt quilt was our son’s pre-K days through his college days. With its black sashing and gold accents (college colors), it turned out nicely even though some of his old KISS t-shirts and football-wrestling shirts were in shambles. My second t-shirt quilt was for a gentleman who had several new shirts from his charity runs. Notice that key word "new." :) The backgrounds were white upon all shirts which led to uniformity. I was able to surround quilt with flying geese and cornerstones. He is presently using it as a large wall hanging in his office.

Now comes my third t-shirt quilt---a high school volleyball player with a rainbow of orange, red, purple, pink, yellow, black, etc t-shirt! Yipes, those colors are hard to arrange but the memories for her will be enormous.

My first step (Photo #1) was to jot out some grafting of attack. Then I sorted, slit shirts apart, fused logos and re-cut blocks. (Photos #2) In Photo #3, I salvaged one large name decal (Photo#3) which I will make a pillow case or permanent cover, surrounded by four-inch blocks cut from various t-shirt leftovers.

I have been able to utilize over twenty of her t-shirts, plus a combination of others. At this juncture, all blocks have been fused and squared. After I appliqué/embellish a few, more sashing will continue. (Photo #4)

Because of the width of words and decals, the quilt will be slightly larger than planned—possibly a queen sized! Therefore, I am becoming concerned about the ease of home machine quilting it, although I am fortunate to own a Bernina 820. Some of the shirts have 13-inch wide heavy plastic-like logos/words and therein lies my question.

Have any of you quilted through large plastic emblems upon a t-shirt? (See last photo-my apologies for blurry photo.)

I will continue to post my weekly progress and thank everyone in advance for comments, suggestions and, yes, I take criticisms.
Happy Stitches from All Thumbs…………………
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159400.jpe   attachment-159401.jpe   attachment-159402.jpe   attachment-159403.jpe   attachment-159404.jpe