Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by chrisqlt
I have used lightweight fusibles for knits that iron on that I found at JoAnn's. It has you put a dampened press cloth over as you press on the fusible side. Then you can cut the t shirt to size and assemble the blocks as you desire. It does make me nervous to put heat to the shirts in case any of the designs decide to run. Only had it happen to me one time though.

Currently I am doing one by layering muslin, cotton batting, and then the shirt. I mark the size square I will be cutting and quilt the squares worth through all the layers. Next I layer another shirt on and repeat. When I take it off my quilt machine I will cut out the shirts on the marked line. I think they will behave just fine. They will be soft and no ironing will have happened! You would need to finish with some sort of quilt as you go plan from there.
An interlock fusible interfacing is available that would work well. I have just never used it for this purpose. To avoid ruining the t-shirt with the iron, use a pressing cloth.