View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 AM
nycquilter

My daughter is quite artistic but tends not to prefer sewing. However, she has a large stash, accumulated when accompanying me to quilt stores. She usually sewed when not around me, like at camp when she would teach others. Her preference is jewelry design. On the other hand, my now-8-year-old godddaughter was bitten by the quilting bug and bitten hard. I gave her a sewing machine a year ago though she really prefers sewing with me on my machine. Last summer, she made a small (12x18 inch) wall hanging all by herself, except I bound it for her. Her next project is almost done. It's 8" squares, sewn in a 7x7 setting from fabrics in my stash. They are mostly dog and cat fabrics with some others thrown in cause she liked them. Can we say mish-mash? But, so far, she's sewn the blocks all together and we're waiting for time when she can add the borders. She picked out two fabrics for the backing--a cotton mermaid print and a flannel hello-kitty print (gag!). I tried to convince her to use one, but being my girl, she asked, Can't we cut and piece the back too? How could I say no?? We have already picked out the pantograph for the quilting, which she will help with on my HQ16. It will be full-size by the time it's done. And, little quilter she is, she has already picked out our next project!

Laurie