View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea
D. All of the above.

Some how on one of them the fabric was ascew and had a pucker, I put the fabric in the wrong direction, fabric was wrong side out. I know it just takes practice. I've read on this forum how easy and perfect the blocks come out, it just didnt happen for me.
Here are some tricks that worked for me.

1. Make some extra copies of your pattern for cutting apart and for reference. So if your pattern has 7 units, I would make 8 extra copies. Add a generous 1/2" to 3/4" around every side of each different piece in the pattern. I think Carol Doak tells you add 1" but I don't. Cut that out to make templates for your fabric pieces. Cut your fabrics using the templates. They don't have to be exact just the same basic shape and as big, if not bigger then your template.

2. Take an extra pattern and glue a small swatch of your intended fabric onto each piece you need.

3. Dont be afraid to pin your fabric in place on the paper pattern. This helps from keeping the fabric going askew on you. After a while you won't need to do this. When I place my unit under the presser foot, before I start sewing I lift up the paper to ensure my fabric is laying straight and hasn't bunched up or shifted in the process of placing it under the foot. It happens more often then you think!

4. Write yourself a note until you are comfortable with the process to remind you: "Fabric piece #1 is always right side up but all other fabric pieces after that are wrong side up". OR use batiks! then you don't have to worry about right side or wrong side! I actually prefer batiks for PP for exactly this reason! BTW, I have been PP for years and still manage to get pieces facing wrong side out!

5. Until you get at an expert level with PP I would avoid directional fabrics. I am still not comfortable with them and will not use them unless I don't care if my stripe, that I thought was going to be vertical ended up being diagonal.

6. I press (finger pressing is fine but if my unit is large I use the iron) and cut down my seam allowance after every unit. This is just the way I was taught and works best for me. I fold my pattern back using a postcard lined up with the seam line that will be sewn next then take my ruler and add 1/4" and cut. That way I can take my next piece and line it right up the raw edge of the first piece.

I hope these hints and the others that people have posted will help you. I love to PP and it has opened up so many pattern possiblities for me that I would not attempt otherwise. Once you have that "AHA!" moment you will enjoy it and won't be so frustrated.