View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Airwick156

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Well -- that's like saying cooking is a dying art because we use electric stoves instead of a wood burning fireplace! I, for one, believe my GGgrandmother would say I'm an idiot for not using the most modern convenience!!!! Okay - so I WILL admit that I'm trying to learn how to hand quilt so I can play while camping. :)
You said, "so I can play while camping" I have to tell you a story. I'll make it short.
Last summer my husband and I went camping. Thats our favorite thing to do together. Anyways, my husband has a habit of going to bed for the night BEFORE DARK. And I think it is because its just so relaxing to just be outside with no worries. But after "many many" nights of being the only one awake (no one ever camps with us) I decided the next time we go camping, I am bringing my laptop computer so that I can listen to music, or I can play a couple hidden object games I have downloaded on it since he goes to sleep so early. And I am going to bring a quilt that I was putting binding on. (We camp at state parks and theres always alot of people there) So this one particular night, I grabbed a tablecloth, covered the picnic table with it, set up my sewing machine, grabbed my quilt, turned on the music and sat there and sewed out on the picnic table. We camp in a tent, with cots, and we have a table that fits in the tent that we use when its dark out and play games on. But anyways, across the drive in another camp spot, was this elderly woman and her husband, they were just sitting there watching me sew and there were other campers that were watching me, and all of a sudden, several people came over to where I was and started talking to me. The one elderly lady says to me "what possessed you to bring your sewing machine camping with you". And I told her, well, its like this. My husband gets so relaxed that he goes to bed at about 6:00pm when we go camping and that its too early for me to go to bed, so I had to come up with something to pass the time with and so I chose to bring my sewing to keep my hands occupied, my computer so that I can relax and "think" that I am not sitting out here all alone as long as the music doesnt stop. I did complete the binding on that quilt. I just thought you would like to hear that story. LOL. I can't wait to be able to go camping again this year.