View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 05:12 AM
june6995

This recipe can be made in various forms, but it tastes the same.

Peanut Brittle is another Cold weather treat. Why do I say cold weather? Humidity causes it to become sticky and it sticks together in clumps.
As with most cadies made from a boiled sugar syrup, and things like Seafoam Icing and Divinity, it is best to make it on a clear, cold day. I always waited until it was below freezing outside, in order to get a good product.

Does anyone remember the Peanut Brittle with wide strips of coconut toasted in the brittle? It can be duplicated by buying a fresh coconut and cutting it in strips with a potato peeler, then cooking it in the syrup with the fresh peanuts. At one time (in history) you could go to the 5 & 10 cent store and buy them fresh where they roasted them behind the candy counter. Oh Nostalgia!! (the substitution for the fresh peanuts that have not been roasted would be unsalted dry roasted peanuts.) Another Treat was (and I still make this one) English Toffee that tastes like Heath bar. Who counts calories at Christmas? Not me!!!

Those were the days. Our Christmas Past also included fresh made donuts on Christmas morning.

June