Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by starshine
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by np3
I know just how you feel. I forced myself to learn FMQ for that very reason. Now it is the most fun part of making the quilt! It takes some practice, but well worth the time.
Maybe you could drive a couple hours north & spend a day helping me? :D Just kidding (kinda lol)

I will continue to pursue learning FMQ. I know it will be worth the time to learn FMQ - it is just that I don't have time to learn it before I need to get these 2 quilts done.
A question and a suggestion.
1- is FMQ free motion quilting on a standard sewing machine or a long arm machine?

2- why don't you get a pretty but plain fabric-like polished cotton, in a size for a lap quilt or baby quilt, sandwich it with batting and a back, and practice some stitches. The plain fabric will let you see your stitches. When you are done if you don't care to keep it you can donate it.
FMQ can be done either way. I started on small projects, like candle mats and hot pads. Then I went to table tops. I practiced the motion with a pencil and paper. Did the meandering around never crossing the line. Then I went to the sewing machine and used the same motion. I discovered that I could do it better when I start with the fabric at the back of the machine and pull it towards me as I quilted. I was less comfortable when I was starting with the fabric in front of the machine (the way you normally sew). It is all trial and error, with lots of practice. You can do this!

So where do you live?