View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 AM
IBQLTN

Sorry if this is a repeat, don't have time to read all the posts.

Tampa, FL is the 'lightning capitol of the world' or so I was told when I lived there. Unplugging your machine from an adequate surge protector takes away your protection.

Lightning can travel from the wall outlet to the plug on the floor then travel up the cord into your machine, iron, etc that way. I was advised that I should unplug my machine from where it plugs into the machine itself and lay the entire cord down on the floor, greatly reducing the risk of lightning traveling.

I was advised by the sewing machine manufacturer that you needed a surge protector at least equal to that for a computer. HOWEVER, not all surge protectors are alike. The one I have not only protects from power 'surges' it protects and 'beeps' when there is a power 'drain'. I have been advised by our IT techs at work that if this happens more than 1-2 times in a short span of time to TURN OFF THE COMPUTER, I do the same with my machine.

If you have an older home where the lights dim slightly (or a lot) when the A/C or an appliance or iron kick in, you need to be sure you have one that protects against the power drain. It can damage the computer in a sewing machine slowly and, if you're related to Mr. Murphy (Murphy's Law) the board will die 2 days after the warranty runs out!

Peggy
22 degrees in Florida is too cold!!!!