View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
loopywren

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I have one foot firmly planted on both sides of this argument. I appreciate the older quilts and think they are beautiful. I'd rather have a 50 year old quilt than a modern one.

However, if I had to quilt the way my grandmother and auntie did, I'd never quilt. I don't have the patience or time to hand piece and quilt for the hours it would take to make one quilt. Now that arthritis has set in, I don't have the physical ability to do the hand work, either. So, those old quilts have given me a standard to appreciate, and the new quilts I turnout out show that I love to continue this wonderful craft.
Though I work by hand as I have said previously, that is a personal preference. I love the quilts which are machine made also, I patch and quilt for the pleasure it gives me and all my quilts are made with a particular person in mind, I don't think you would work by hand otherwise as it takes so long. Some of the pleasure is because I know the person I am making it for will be thrilled with it, as they are all close friends or family they don't care how perfect it is though I try to make it so,of course.