View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 AM
plainpat

Haven't read all the thread,so this is just off the top of my head.I started quilting way back when,using a pic in a BH&G mag...King size no less.Didn't know what a rotary cutter/mat was,knew nothing about buying fabric.basically knew nothing at all about making a quilt.Why did that pic grab me?
I drew that small shape on cardboard,held it against fabric & cut out well over 3000 pieces 2x3".Sewed them together on a Singer FW & to make my 1st quilt called "Pioneer Braid"it was put away with 3 more made the same way.Had no clue about finishing them. The so called beginning to end quilting book said "finish as desired".
A good friend said her sis in law would do them on her LA machine (?), so off they went.A few wks later,she brought them home while we had company.There I stood, in front of friends with tears in my eyes.They were & are so beautiful. Not perfect by a country mile,wonky even.What did bias mean? How do you square up a block or a quilt?
That was my start in quilting.Today I have a great machine, own all the notions & have a stash in my quilting room.Still learning & loving quilts.
No,I wouldn't trade my 1st quilts but neither would I take anything for what I have/use today. JMO